Printer friendly page Printer friendly page
Home » Community Development » Building Department » Building Permit Process

Building Permit Process

Sample Building Permit | Permit Exceptions | Single Family Dwelling | Commercial Buildings | Detached Garages, Sheds, etc


What Is A Building Permit? (Back to top)
To insure the health and safety of the public, The City of Holladay requires that certain construction work can be performed only after a permit is obtained. Plans are reviewed prior to issuance of the permit for compliance with the current building codes. The work is then inspected during construction to confirm adherence to the approved plans and codes. A Certificate of Occupancy or approved final inspection is issued when the work is completed and in substantial compliance with code requirements.

Building Links

Why Do I Need A Permit? (Back to top)

The primary advantage of obtaining a permit is that it offers you the services of a building inspector, who inspects each phase of the construction process. Inspectors can advise you on your options if you have difficulties. Remember that inspection is the process that ensures that minimum standards for health and safety have been met; it does not involve assessing quality or aesthetic standards of work.

There are legal and financial liabilities that you can face when you don’t get a permit. Work without a permit is illegal and can pose serious complications for you when you try to sell your house. Any fire and homeowner’s insurance you have may be invalidated if you do work without a permit. If there is a fire in your house, the insurance company may use the illegal work as an excuse not to pay on your claim.

When Do I Need A Permit? (Back to top)
Call the building department at 801-527-3890. Discuss your plans with the code official before beginning construction to determine if you need a permit. Even if a permit is not needed, the code official will answer code questions and may provide valuable advice. All work regardless of permit requirements must be completed in accordance with all applicable codes.

What Work Requires A Permit? (Back to top)
All structural and some nonstructural work on your home or business require permits. Permits are relatively simple to obtain. Drop off your completed plans to the Building Department. If you would like to speak with an Inspector and explain what you want to do, our inspectors are available for over the counter permits Mon. and Wed. from 3:30pm to 5:00pm. When you have completed the proper permit application, submit it with the necessary drawings. Please be aware that, depending on the degree of difficulty, 1st time plan reviews can vary from 1 day to 2 weeks. When in doubt the best way to find out if you need a permit is to call the City of Holladay Building Department (801-527-3890).

Permits are required for the following:
• New buildings (Over 200 Square Feet) - Check with Planning for permitted placement on property.
• Additions (bedrooms, bathrooms, family room, etc. regardless of square footage)
• Residential work (garages, decks, fences, fireplaces, pools, water heaters, furnaces etc)
• Renovations (garage conversions, kitchen expansions, etc.)
• Electrical installations (service upgrade, meter change, new branch circuits, etc.)
• Plumbing installations (gas, drain-waste-vent piping, water lines)
• HVAC (heating, ventilating and air conditioning installations)
• Signs (wall, monument, pole and billboard)
• Photovoltaic systems (Solar electric & hot water panels)
• Water heater replacements & Furnace replacements
• Reroofing projects
• Basement finishing projects

How Do I Submit Plans For Review? (Back to top)
When you submit plans are logged in at the Building Department for review, your plans will be reviewed by several departments. Plans are logged in and reviewed by each department in the following order: Zoning, Engineering/Public Works, Building, and the Fire Department. All plans are signed in and out thru the Building Department Permit Technician, Jonathan Teerlink (801-527-3890). As each department reviews the plans, a review report will be written. Once the reviews have all been done, the listed contact person will be notified to pick up plans and reports, make the appropriate corrections and resubmit. Once all requirements have been met, your plan will be stamped approved, issued a permit number, fees assessed and the permit will be released for construction. Each department has other duties besides plan review so our review process could take a day or two or up to ten working days for the first review. Please plan ahead. Each department reviews plans in the order in which they are received. If you need to make changes and resubmit your plans, the plans will be forwarded to the department who asked for the corrections. They in turn will re-review the plans as they receive them.
We strongly urge you to review our check off list and your plans very carefully to make sure all requested information is included. This will expedite your plan review. If you have any questions about the review process, do not hesitate to call us.

What Are The Current Codes? (Back to top)
• 2012 International Building Code
• 2012 International Residential Code
• 2012 National Electrical Code
• 2012 International Plumbing Code
• 2012 International Mechanical Code
• 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
• 2012 International Energy Conservation Code (Commercial)
• 2006 International Energy Conservation Code (Residential)
• 2012 International Property Maintenance Code
• 2012 International Fire Code
• 2009 ANSI A117.1

What Are the Office Hours of the Building Department? (Back to top)
Owners and Contractors may apply for permits at City Hall, 4580 S. 2300 E. between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday.

What Are the Permit fees? (Back to top)
Fees are based on the valuation of the project as per 1997 Uniform Administrative Code, Table 3-A. Call the building department for permit fees.

Most fees are calculated based on the project valuation. This valuation can be calculated based on square footage, or based on “the total value of all construction work for which the permit is issued as well as all finish work, painting, roofing, electrical, plumbing, heating, air-conditioning, elevators, fire-extinguishing systems and other permanent equipment.”(1997 UAC)

What Are the Required Design Criteria? (Back to top)

WIND SPEED: 90 mph (3sec)
Exposure: Site specific. Most of Holladay is classified as exposure “C”
Code: For simple diaphragm buildings less than 60 ft in height – use IBC 2009. For all other structures use – ASCE 7-02.

SEISMIC DESIGN CATEGORY: Site specific – Holladay is classified at a minimum as “D” with many sites requiring an “E” Classification depending upon site class and 1 second spectral response acceleration. (Greater than 0.75g).

SITE CLASS: Site specific – Holladay may assume “D”. Essential facilities and irregular structures require site specific geographical analysis.

GEOTECHNICAL INFORMATION: All commercial projects require site specific geotechnical reports. The report shall include as a minimum: Field investigation; description of on site soil conditions; ground water elevation; soil preparation recommendations; allowable soil bearing; suitability of soils for proposed foundation system; liquefaction potential and recommended remedial action if required; recommended site class see IBC Table 1615.1.1.
Holladay City recommends that all projects obtain a site specific geotechnical report.

SNOW LOAD: Site specific depending upon elevation with a minimum roof snow load (Pf) of 30 psf, and a minimum ground snow load (Pg) of 43 psf at a base elevation of 4,500 ft. The following chart may be used at higher elevations.
Elevation Pg (psf) Pf (psf)
4500             43        30
4750             46        32
5000             54        38

SEISMIC SNOW LOAD: At locations where roof snow load exceeds 30psf include 20% of the roof snow load in the effective seismic weight of the structure.

Return Period 15 min. 30 min. 1 hour 6 hour 12 hour 24 hour
10 year 0.54" 0.74" 0.94" 1.46" 1.79" 2.19"
100 year 0.82" 1.14" 1.46" 2.18" 2.70" 3.35"

How Do I Order Building Records? (Back to top)
Download a Holladay City Request for Records form, complete it and return to the Building Department. Records are general available in 3-4 working days, but occasionally may take up to 10 working days.

What Can I Do About Problems With My Builder? (Back to top)

From time to time property owners run into conflicts with their contractor. The City of Holladay will not interfere with the contractual relationship that exists between you and the builder. During construction periodic inspections will be made for compliance with the Code. Once all required inspections have been completed a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued. This certificate is not a warranty or guarantee that every aspect of your project is in compliance with the code. The Certificate of Occupancy simply represents completion of the required inspections to the satisfaction of the City. Following the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy all aspects of the project become a civil matter between the property owner and the contractor. The city will perform visual inspections upon request, if it is suspected that code violations exist however these inspections will result in a Correction Notice addressed to the property owner. Remember that the City only addresses Code violations and will not address issues related to quality or craftsmanship. Generally Correction Notices require that the violations be corrected within 30 days. The responsibility to correct the problem is the property owners who then must seek retribution from the responsible contractor.

City building departments have authority to issue permits, perform inspections, stop construction, demand corrections, and issue Certificates of Occupancy. Building departments do not have the authority to force contractors to perform work, force contractors to complete projects, speed up construction or honor written contracts.

If you have unresolved issues with a contractor we offer the following recommendations:

When you have verified that something is wrong with your home, and that the contractor, builder, sub-contractor, architect, etc. are not going to assist you in addressing or correcting the situation, it’s time to move on to more assertive behavior to protect your asset, as follows:

• Notify the contractor that there is a problem and give him one last chance to correct the problem.

• Verify through a third party expert that the problem you believe exists is a home defect and is the type of defect the contractor, builder, sub-contractor or architect should be responsible for, and should correct

• Verify through a third party inspector, expert, or other such person privy to the costs of correcting construction defects, and determine that the costs involved in hiring an attorney are justified. Make sure you consider the total affect the defect will have on you such as diminution in value, future sale value, the problem becoming worse over time, etc.

Holladay city will not act as third party inspectors. We recommend you contact a private inspection firm, home inspector, related contractor or other expert.

Where to Go For Help
The time to identify and correct problems is during the course of construction. Stay involved with the building process, and if you do encounter a problem with your contractor, seek assistance immediately. Delays add to your investment risk.
Remember, it is your investment. No Utah government agency is empowered to restore or repay your losses other than restitution provided by a civil court case. However, the following agencies may be able to provide some assistance:

Inspection Agencies: Located in your city or county, inspection agencies have trained and licensed inspectors to identify code violations and to ensure the project is built to plan specifications. Request their assistance if you detect any problem or deviation from your building plan specifications.

The Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing: The Division licenses Utah's contractors by requiring them to have experience, pass an examination, and establish a degree of financial responsibility.

By law, the Division is authorized to investigate a number of illegal and unprofessional acts. If found guilty, fines may be imposed and the contractor's license may be suspended or revoked.

Contact the Division's Bureau of Investigations at 801-530-6504 if you suspect any of the following violations or click here to access our on-line complaint form:

The unlicensed performance of jobs exceeding $1,000 in value including materials (no matter who purchases them) and labor

Failure to pay for materials and labor within 120 days of payment

Failure to complete a project without the consent of the owner

Willful or material departure from the building plans and specifications

Failure to comply with a lawful order of a building inspector which jeopardizes the public health, safety, and welfare

Any willful, fraudulent, or deceitful act by a contractor which causes material injury to another or jeopardizes the public health, safety, and welfare

Failure to pay taxes or unemployment insurance or to provide workers' compensation insurance for employees.
The Better Business Bureau keeps records of complaints on contractors. The Bureau will attempt to mediate a resolution to your problem; however, they cannot require a contractor to perform any act or service, impose fines or penalties, or take legal action.
Small Claims Court: You may be able to recover damages or claims of up to $5,000. Contact your county clerk for information on how to file.